Sep 29, 2012

Mushroom Swiss Burger - Success story


I have so much to share on the blog but I keep getting distracted and sharing what I'm experiencing now.  Last time it was how keeping up on the dishes and laundry help me be better prepared for emergencies.  And guess what, the next day, I had a family emergency and was gone all day at the hospital.  It was so nice knowing I was mostly caught up on laundry and dishes.  But now I need to get to work again so that I can be prepared for the next one.

Today's adventure was lunch.  I cooked hamburgers for lunch and Princess Naked Toes asked for cheese on her's.  As I put a slice of colby jack on her hamburger, I thought too bad I can't make a mushroom swiss burger for me.  And then I wondered why not?  I have swiss cheese slices AND I have THRIVE freeze dried mushrooms.  Now I've put the mushrooms on my portion of homemade pizza tons of times with great success but I've always hesitated to saute them.  I must have been feeling brave or adventurous because today I decided to give it a go (maybe because I knew I had swiss cheese ready).

What did I do?  I scooped some of the mushrooms out of my #10 can into a mini-strainer.  I sprayed water from the sink over the strainer for a few seconds, let them drain for a moment and then tossed them into my frying pan in the hamburger grease.  Yes, I know it's not the healthiest way to saute.  After a few minutes sauteing the mushrooms, I threw them on the hamburger bun with the swiss cheese.

Results: Delicious!  I ate it so fast, I didn't even think to take a picture.  As long as I have swiss cheese in the house, I don't think I'll be eating a hamburger without the sauteed mushrooms again.  AND it took just moments to prepare those mushrooms!  From thought to mushrooms on my hamburger was just about 2 minutes.  Having the mushrooms pre-washed and sliced made this super quick and easy.

And while we're talking hamburgers, have I told you about my secret ingredient in my hamburger recipe (yes, I have learned to use a recipe to make my burgers and it has completed changed my family's viewpoint on hamburgers to yeah to why can't we have these everyday).  I use this recipe and chop up mushrooms to mix in with the ground beef.  The first time I did this, I told no one and they all claimed they were the best hamburgers they've ever eaten.  So I told them I'd added mushrooms.  Now, when I make hamburgers, Princess Smiles A Lot who grosses out at just the thought of eating a mushroom, demands that I add the mushrooms.  Sometimes I have fresh, but I ALWAYS have THRIVE freeze dried mushrooms.  So we're happy campers!

And guess what?!  Mushrooms are on sale starting Oct 2nd!

0 comments:

Post a Comment