May 5, 2014

Reading the labels



In preparation for making Chicken Fajitas using Thrive tonight, I made a run to the grocery store for some flour tortillas and also some corn tortillas for later in the week.  I picked up about 5 different brands to compare ingredients.  Have you read the ingredients?  Take a look at the ingredients in the corn tortillas from one brand:

Ingredients:

Ground corn treated with lime, water, cellulose gum, propionic acid (to preserve freshness), benzoic acid (to preserve freshness), phosphoric acid (preservative), guar gum, amylase.
Why do my tortillas need cellulose gum?
And now I'm wondering - why do I need cellulose gum in my corn tortillas?  It doesn't sound like something I would want to add to my body.  And the corn tortillas had the simpler of the two ingredient lists.  I try to buy groceries that I recognize the ingredients.  Thrive Foods are coming to my rescue more and more as I can easily read the ingredients and even my children know what those ingredients are. 

Keeping it realistic
Now MAYBE if I drove across town to a health food store, I could get tortillas that didn't have all these "extra" ingredients.  But that's 20 minutes there, plus 20 minutes back.  I have had friends share that they make their own - I could probably do that in the same amount of time as driving to the health food store. 

It's about my time
But I didn't make the drive to the health food store, or make my own, because I had other things I wanted to do with those 40 minutes.  Which then reminds me again why I THRIVE!  I could spend hours cooking meals every day, and for special occasions, or days I'm in the mood to cook, I do.  I do enjoy cooking, but taking all my available time to prepare a meal is not my ideal.  There are so many other things I need (laundry, cleaning the house, errands) and WANT to be doing (spending time with my girls, volunteering in the community, and taking time for rejuvenation in this crazy world).

Thank you THRIVE Life for making a delicious, healthy, home cooked meal in less than 30 minutes a reality in our home!

0 comments:

Post a Comment