Nov 2, 2012

November Q-Pon: Granny Smith Apples

Granny Smith Apples

shop by region:
USA

AK

HI

CA

PR
Shop USA Shop Canada
Each month, Shelf Reliance offers one specially discounted item to it's Platinum and Gold Q Club members.  If you haven't started your Q, we can get one started today by creating a customized food plan and activating monthly shipments!
 
This month's Q-Pon is one that will definitely be included in my Q shipment.  My husband LOVES Granny Smith apples so I was excited to find THRIVE Freeze Dried Granny Smith Apples.  My personal preference is for a sweeter apple so I'm grateful Shelf Reliance also has THRIVE Freeze Dried Fuji Apples which are a part of the November specials and are also likely to be in my November Q order.  
 
I recently had the opportunity to share with my 9 y/o about my first Granny Smith experience.  In case you'd like a chuckle, here's the story.  We were first married and living in an apartment in St Louis.  Although I'd been living on my own for a few years, I'd never paid attention to the varieties of apples at the grocery store.  My husband of just a few months mentioned that he loved Granny Smith apples so I made sure to buys some at the store.  A few days later, I decided to eat an apple.  One bite and I about gagged.  I immediately spit my bite into the trash and threw the rest of the apple there too.  When my husband got home, I told him the apples were bad.  He said he'd just had one and they were just fine.  I told him they weren't ripe yet because they were so sour.  And he lovingly and laughingly informed me that Granny Smith apples are supposed to taste that way.  17 years later, he still hasn't convinced me to eat a raw Granny Smith apple but I continue to buy them for him and use them for pies.

THRIVE Granny Smith Apples are already sliced and peeled, perfect for a fall apple pie! Take a look at the product reviews to see what people are saying about them. Granny Smith Apple pantry cans and pantry can 10-packs are on sale too this month, so order this month to save 25%!
Apple Pie
by Chef Todd Leonard, CEC
Prep time: 1 hour
Serves 8
Apple Pie Video
Ingredients Instructions
Crust:
12/3 c. THRIVE™ White Flour
2/3 c. cake flour
1 tsp. THRIVE™ Iodized Salt
1 tbsp. THRIVE™ White Sugar
¾ c. THRIVE™ Shortening Powder + 2 tbsp. water
6 tbsp. butter
¼ c. ice water
1 tbsp. cinnamon sugar
  egg wash
   
Filling:
5 c. THRIVE™ Granny Smith Apple Slices (FD)
4 tbsp. THRIVE™ Orchard Apple drink mix
c. water
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
¼ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. THRIVE™ Iodized Salt
3 tbsp. THRIVE™ White Sugar
¼ lb. butter, divided in half
2 tbsp. cornstarch + 2 tbsp. cold water
1 c. THRIVE™ Blueberries (FD)
For the dough, sift the flour, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Cut the shortening and butter into the flour mixture until the desired consistency (flaky or mealy) is reached. Gradually add the cold water, mixing gently until the dough holds together. Do not over mix or add too much water. Wrap the dough in a flattened ball shape with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly before using.
For the filling, soak the apples for 10 minutes with the drink mix, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, salt, and sugar. Drain the juice from the apples, reserving it for the sauce. Mix the cornstarch and water together and set aside.
In a large skillet, sauté the drained apples in half of the butter. Add the apple juice and bring to a simmer. Add the cornstarch slurry and allow to thicken. Add the other half of the butter and swirl in. Fold in the blueberries and allow to cool.
Roll out two crusts about ⅛ inch thick and ½ inch wider than the pie pan. Place one crust in the pie tin and stretch up over the sides. Prick the pie crust with a fork all over the bottom and sides.
Pour the chilled pie filling into the crust. Top with the second crust. Cut a few holes in the top of the crust to allow the pie to breath during baking. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes at 350⁰F. Allow to cool for 45 minutes. Enjoy!
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment