May 15, 2012

THRIVE Hashbrown Casserole/Funeral Potatoes

 
When I planned the menu for this past week, it never occurred to me that the Hashbrown Casserole could be a THRIVE Recipe.  But as I was making it to eat with the yummy Brown Sugar Glazed Pork Roast, I was using up some rehydrated sour cream powder and realized this could easily be made using shelf stable THRIVE foods - making it quickly to the top of our comfort foods list in the case of the need to live off our home store.

My original recipe came from KLS-TV.  The biggest changes I made when I did it this week was I used my cream of chicken substitute and I did not make the topping because I was rushed AND I didn't have any corn flakes. 

Now to turn it into a completely shelf-stable THRIVE Recipe.  The recipe below is subbing out everything for shelf stable products.  You could always just sub out what works for you to keep your life simple.  For example, if you just sub out the potatoes, you would still save time (and not have unused potatoes starting to sprout on your counter) but not have to take the time to prepare the cream of chicken substitute (which only takes 5-10 minutes) or reconstituting sour cream and cheese the night before.  But I like having a plan/recipe for if we ever had to live off our food storage, and knowing it'd be delicious!

6 cups THRIVE Diced Potatoes (FD),
1 recipe Cream of Chicken Substitute (you'll need 4 T white beans and 4 t chicken bouillon)
1/2 cup THRIVE Instant Milk or THRIVE Powdered Milk
1 cup THRIVE Sour Cream Powder, rehydrated
1 cup THRIVE Cheddar Cheese (FD), rehydrated
1/4 cup THRIVE chopped onions, FD  or THRIVE Onions
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional -
3 T butter, melted (I'm not sure how to use the Butter Powder for this but I'd be willing to try)
3/4 cup corn flake crumbs

Rehydrate your potatoes and place in a 9x13 pan.  Prepare cream of chicken substitute and add to milk, sour cream, cheese, onion, salt and pepper.  Mix well and then spread over potatoes.

Melt butter and combine with corn flake crumbs.  Sprinkle crumbs over casserole.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

Alternative:  If you were looking for a one-dish casserole, you could always throw in some rehydrated Diced Chicken or Seasoned Chicken Slices.



0 comments:

Post a Comment