May 10, 2012

Picnic at the Soccer Field - Smokies in a Blanket

 Printable Recipe - Smokies in a Blanket


It's soccer season.  I love it!  And then again, not so much.  Every Monday, we have soccer practice at 5:30 pm.  On the other side of town.  Most nights, we eat dinner at 5:30 pm.  Our Monday nights are reserved as Family Home Evening (Family Night), starting shortly after dinner.  So soccer practice has really put a crinkle in our normal plans.  To help preserve FHE time, I came up with the "brilliant" idea to have a picnic at the soccer field at 5 pm every Monday night.  My sister-in-law is always talking about their family picnics so how hard could it be?  Except I'm not a big sandwich person.  Each week I have to get my creative juices flowing for how to have a picnic without doing sandwiches and hopefully make it healthy.  The first week we did pizza (it cooled off a little by the time we got to the park but cool pizza is just fine with our family).  The next week I made Chicken Taquitos (Recipe to come soon).  It's definitely a challenge finding something to bring for our family that we can eat sitting on a blanket under the shade tree.

The recipe I'm sharing today we made for our 3rd week of soccer and then again just for an easy night.  I call them Smokies in a Blanket.  A friend had made them for a baby shower ages ago (even before my 9 y/o was born) and I've loved them ever since.  The original directions I was given called for canned biscuits or crescent rolls.  Since I've been trying to avoid "extras" in our foods like additives, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, and I also like to use whole grains as much as possible, I try to not buy the canned biscuits.  So I turned to my bread machine manual's dinner roll recipe as a starter and changed it up a bit.  I posted about that recipe here.


To make the Smokies in a Blanket, you need a package of Lit'l Smokies, one package of sliced swiss cheese, and either a can of biscuits/crescent rolls, or one rolls recipe.

Step 1 - Cut cheese slices into pieces slightly smaller than the dough.  Set these aside but in easy reach.  Open the package of smokies and keep within easy reach.

Step 2 - smash out your dough into about 2x1 pieces.  I do these one at a time by grabbing a small ball of dough and then pressing it in the palm of my hand.



Step 3 - Place a piece of cheese on top of the dough.   Add a smokie on top and then wrap the dough around the smokie, laying the ends on top of each other and pressing together. 

Step 4 - Place seam side on a baking sheet or stoneware pan. Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes, until dough is golden brown.

Smokies in a Blanket
 Printable Recipe 
  • 1 package (8 Oz. Size) Crescent Rolls, Or You Can Make Your Own Dough
  • 3 slices Swiss Cheese
  • 1 package (16 Oz. Size) Lit'l Smokies
 
Prepare crescent roll dough recipe and roll to about 1/4 inch thick, or use store-bought crescent roll dough.
Cut dough into 1″x2″ pieces. Cut cheese slices into pieces slightly smaller than the dough. Place cheese on top of dough, then wrap dough around smokie.
Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes, until dough is golden brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment