Apr 21, 2012

Mixing it up - Multi-grain Dinner Rolls from the Bread Machine



In an effort to help my family be healthier by eating more whole grains and less additives, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, etc., I have been buying less and less packaged foods and making more things from scratch.  I am so grateful for my bread machine.  I don't make all my family's bread.  Not even half of it.  But if we want bread with a meal, I'm all over making it myself.  (But for sandwiches and toast, I make sure to buy whole grain breads without high fructose corn syrup.)

So many of my bread recipes, whether for the bread machine or by hand, call for white all-purpose flour, or bread flour.  Not as healthy as I want.  So I've been mixing it up some.  My family is not quite ready for 100% whole wheat.  But I generally can do a 50/50 mix.  A while ago, I tried adding in a scoop of flax seed and a sprinkle of wheat germ when I make breads.  And now?  Now I'm also replacing some of the flour with oats.  The oats are making everything taste wonderful!  I've even used it in my pizza dough.  Now the question becomes that when I get my quinoa in next week and I make some quinoa flour, do I try adding that in as well.

When I wanted some crescent rolls for dinner this week, I decided to play with the roll recipe for my bread machine and here's what I came up with.  Hopefully soon, I will have another idea ready to share with you for how I used this recipe (I failed to take any pictures so I "have" to make it again).


Multi-Grain Dinner Rolls from Bread Machine
Printable Recipe

Add water and butter to bread machine pan. Add remaining ingredients, except yeast. Level out the ingredients and make a well in the middle; add yeast into well. Lock into bread machine and program for dough.

When dough cycle is completed, place dough on floured surface and let rest for 15 minutes. Shape as desired; you can use the dough for regular dinner rolls, crescent rolls, bread sticks, etc. Let rise on greased baking pans until double in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour (my house tends to be on the cool side so it has to rise longer).
Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment